Launched January 5th 2016, CanExport is a five year, $50 million Government of Canada program that provides direct financial assistance to small and medium sized businesses register in Canada who are seeking to develop export opportunities and markets. The program is delivered by the Trade Commissioner Service of Global Affairs Canada, in partnership with NRC-IRAP.
Official Weblink: http://www.international.gc.ca/canexport/index.aspx?lang=eng
Online Application Setup: https://canexport.fluidreview.com/
- Be a for-profit company;
- Be an incorporated legal entity OR a limited liability partnership (LLP);
- Have a Canada Revenue Agency business identifier number;
- Have a minimum of 1 full-time (FTE) employee and a maximum of 250 FTE employees; and
- Have no less than $200,000 and no more than $50 million in annual revenue declared in Canada.
- Can only have one active CanExport project at any given time.
- Business Travel, Trade Fairs, Market Research, Marketing Tools, Legal Fees (towards distribution and trade agreements).
- Open to wide Sectors; except agriculture, food, processed food/fish seafood, wine, beer, spirits are excluded.
- Non-repayable $10,000 to $99,999 per project. (Note: Minimum project total costs need to be $20,000 total in order to be eligible for the minimum $10k grant).
- CanExport funding can be combined with other funding sources but cannot exceed 50% of total costs
- Travel: 2 employee airfare (economy); Per diem set at $400/ working day per employee (accommodations, meals, incidentals included in this per diem); Ground transportation, Temporary visa fees for 2 employees)
- Contractor Fees: Event registration (max. 2 employees), TradeShow rentals and construction services, shipping and related booth costs; Interpretation costs, Translation services costs, Legal Fees pertaining to incremental activities targeting export of product/services
- Consultant fees: B2B meeting programs, matchmaking, custom market research, legal tax advice, business consultant costs not exceeding 25% of eligible costs of project.
Application Turnaround: Companies are encouraged to submit applications year-round; best to apply at least 8-weeks before travel to allow for application to be processed.
CanExport Drafting Guide